Monday, February 24, 2014

Pragmatic Speech

Writing in order to express all your thoughts, ideas, and feelings is easy. You have all the time you need to think and fluidly describe your topic. You are able to create the entire context, categorically organize your thoughts, and order them.  You have the ability to edit and adjust what you say as needed. In addition, you also have the floor. You possess the reader's full attention without interruption or distraction. This allows you to be as clear and concise as linguistically possible. Writing is the simplest way to communicate.

Sadly, I can't write all day. The reality is that I'm not able to write everything I want to say to people in my daily life. Speech is difficult for me. I have trouble thinking of what I want to say in a timely and contextual manner, and usually before I have time to say what I actually think, the subject is changed. People get bored or feel awkward. This leads to miscommunication. I am only partially able say what I really think, and usually feel too much pressure to think clearly at all anyways. What I say gets taken out of context, and understood differently from my truthful intention. I end up misunderstood, simply from being socially deficient.

I need to improve the way I communicate. I must learn how to speak more pragmatically. I have to teach myself how to gather my thoughts quicker, listen from the other point of view, and use the least amount of words possible to make myself known. I will have to pay attention to social que's and contexts, while also being aware of what the other person means, too. I usually shy away from speaking at all, but I am sick of just being a slab of meat with seemingly no opinions or thoughts, while in fact I have thousands. I am now at the point where I don't care what others think of my opinions, so now I just have to try and make my opinions known. Practice makes perfect. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment